Affordable Housing Home For Sale Sign 3d Illustration

Housing needs change as we age, but it’s possible for our homes and communities to be livable for people of all ages and life stages. DOEA believes all Floridians should have appropriate and affordable housing that promotes and supports aging in place. Age-friendly housing options allow residents to age in their own community even when changes in health or ability mean that a person needs some help to remain in the community safely and with as much independence as possible.

Housing Options

Do you need to find a licensed facility?

The Agency for Health Care Administration licenses health facilities in Florida and has a consumer-friendly website to locate licensed facilities including assisted living facilities, nursing homes and adult family care homes. Please visit: To find the AHCA licensed facilities. 


Florida Medicaid cannot pay room and board for residents in assisted living facilities.

The Institutional Care Program (ICP) is a Medicaid program that helps people in nursing facilities pay for the cost of their care plus provides general medical coverage. To apply for Florida Medicaid, please visit the Florida Department of Children and Families ACCESS FLORIDA at or call 1 (866) 762-2237.

Florida Medicaid through Statewide Medicaid Managed Care (SMMC) Long-Term Care plans can provide additional home and community-based services in an assisted living facility. These services are not room and board.  All services must be approved by your health plan. If you are already enrolled in SMMC LTC, contact your case manager for more information.

If you are interested in getting on the SMMC LTC program: Call your local Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) to be screened for the SMMC LTC program. To find your local ADRC, call the Elder Helpline at 1-800-96-ELDER (800-963-5337) or select your county. (Communications may be changing how to locate the ADRC by county look up)

Help for assisted living facilities

The Florida Optional State Supplementation program (OSS) is offered by the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF). It provides limited financial assistance to low-income seniors who cannot live independently and require residential care. To apply, contact DCF or 1-(866)-762-2237

Other Housing Resources:

Seniors enrolled in Community Care for the Elderly (CCE), Home Care for the Elderly (HCE), Local Service Programs (LSP) or programs provided through the Older Americans Act (OAA) may be able to receive home repairs, environmental modifications, adaptive alterations, or security devices.

For more information on please visit: CCE

For more information on LSP, please contact your local ADRC.

For more information on please visit: OAA

The Florida Housing Finance Corporation assists in providing a range of affordable housing opportunities with a goal to match the needs of residents with housing programs. 

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is the federal agency that oversees public housing and Section 8 rental housing programs. In addition, HUD provides information regarding buying, selling and/or renting a home, as well as other housing-related information for consumers. 

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and HUD have a collaborative program that combines HUD housing vouchers with VA supportive services to help Veterans who are homeless, and their families find and sustain permanent housing.  

The Florida Commission on Human Relations addresses allegations of discrimination in housing based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, pregnancy, religion and familial status.  

The Council on Homelessness works with lead agencies in each county to provide a framework for a comprehensive array of emergency, transitional, and permanent housing, and supportive services to address the varying needs of the person who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. 

Additional Resources