- Provide information and referral services.
- Ensure that eligibility determinations are done properly and efficiently.
- Triage clients who require assistance.
- Manage the availability of financial resources for certain key long-term care programs targeted for elders to ensure financial viability and stability.
Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)
In April 2004, the Department received a federal grant from the U.S. Administration on Aging and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to establish at least two pilot Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs). As a result, Aging and Disability Resource Centers in the Orlando, St. Petersburg and Fort Lauderdale areas began providing services to caregivers, elders and adults with severe and persistent mental illnesses (SPMI) in the summer and fall of 2005.
Florida’s ADRCs provide information and referral not only to elders, but also to adults age 18 and older who have SPMI (such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or clinical depression). The ADRCs enhance the existing mental health referral network. Information and referral specialists are trained to refer callers to mental health providers if they indicate that they have a severe and persistent mental illness or if the specialist discerns that the inquiry may be related to SPMI.
With the support of an ADRC expansion grant funded by the U.S. Administration on Aging, the Department has partnered with the developmental disability community and the Agency for Persons with Disabilities. Through this partnership, ADRC services are being offered in two Florida locations to persons with developmental disabilities age 50 and older, and their family caregivers age 55 and older. This initiative will support the expansion of the ADRC based in St. Petersburg and the transition of the Fort Myers based Aging Resource Center into an ADRC.
Five‐Year Plan for Expanding ADRCs Statewide
Plan (PDF 242 KB)
- FS430.2053 Aging resource centers.
- State Map of ADRCs
- Florida’s Information and Referral System: ReferNET
- ADRC Training Notice
- Developmental Disabilities Presenters Manual
- Developmental Disabilities Participants Handbook
- ADRC Checklist 2011 with Attachments
- Integrated Statewide Inclusion-Exclusion Criteria
- Sample – PSA8 Database Application
- Sample – Memorandum of Understanding Between the AAA of Pasco-Pinellas, Inc and the Agency for Persons with Disabilities – SunCoast Area Office Regarding Aging and Disability Resource Centers
- ADRC Referral Agreement Protocol Revised Draft
- Sample – Customer Satisfaction Survey
- DCF – ACCESS (Automated Community Connection to Economic Self-Sufficiency) Contacts
- DCF – Substance Abuse and Mental Health – Headquarters Contacts
- Florida Network of Centers for Independent Living Contact Sheet with Counties
- Florida Disability Resources
- Other Helpful Websites
- Marketing Strategies for Reaching People with Disabilities
- ARC Frequently Asked Questions
- Rule Chapter 58B-1, Aging Resource Centers, Florida Administrative Code
- ARC Implementation Plan 2004-2007 (adopted in 2004, continues to guide current ARC/ARDC operations)
To apply for services, call 1-800-96-ELDER (1-800-963-5337) or contact your local Aging and Disability Resource Center. (PSA = Planning and Service Area)